7/8/10

The Edgerton Bros...better than the Coens?









I just saw the film "The Square" which was directed by Aussie director and stuntman Nash Edgerton. The thriller was co-written by brother Joel Edgerton. In the preview for the film (it can be found on youtube), citysearch is quoted as saying, "The Brothers Coen just got some stiff competition Aussie style." I have to agree with citysearch's comment; this film is so jam packed with thrills and chills that it's almost tiring to watch. I highly recommend it.

First though, before you run off to your nearest independent theater, check out a Nash Edgerton masterpiece available to you via youtube.



I saw this short during my first trip to Sundance and was absolutely stunned. I sat amongst a theater full of viewers as unsuspecting as me; it was not the first film in the shorts program but it is the one that I remember the most vividly. Once you watch it, you will know what I mean.

The Neon Movies, the theater where I saw "The Square," played "Spider" prior to the feature film. The moviegoers jumped at the appropriate moments, letting out gasps of shock, while my mom and I looked on simultaneously knowingly and amused, as I had showed my mom the short as a way to entice her to commit to seeing Edgerton's full length film.

We started calling what seems to be Edgerton's favorite convention "the spider effect." Once you watch the short, you will know what I mean. Edgerton generously, but not self indulgently, uses "the spider effect" in "The Square" and it's one of the main reasons why I love his work. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just saw a coen film a couple of days ago, a serious man.

but that's so funny your brother just got a job at applebee's. it's possibly one of the nicest management i have ever worked for. but yeah, since i can't find a real job, i'm definitely making plans on going back to grad school.