1/2/11

"Tiny Furniture"

When I accompanied my mom to take my brother back to college, I was delighted to discover that the sleepy, cerebral city of Athens was tapped into the pulse of current independent cinema. At the local indie theater, The Athena, "Tiny Furniture" was one of the three feature films. Having recently fallen in love with a genre that's sometimes referred to as "mumblecore," I had heard a lot about "Tiny Furniture." I was ecstatic to finally see it after reading so much about it. I was not disappointed; the film surpassed my expectations and I look forward to watching it again.

"Tiny Furniture" tells a tale that directly applies to the state of my life right now-- and, let me be so bold, presents a story that eloquently speaks for my generation. Aura (Lena Dunham), a recent college graduate, returns home to NYC to live with her mother and sister. With no future plans, Aura tries to discover her "thing" while amongst her new (yet old) environment. Hilarity and awkwardness ensue, and of course the film ends as open-endedly as it began. "Tiny Furniture" is a gem.

Check out the trailer here: "Tiny Furniture."

2 comments:

Blue said...

i wanna see it. there's a movie theater that is literally half a block away from me that is showing blue valentine, rabbit hole, somewhere, and the king's speech. want.to.see.them.all.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Come to Indy and I'll treat you to another viewing.xoxo